Environmental Sciences, Policy & Management
About the Major
An Environmental Sciences, Policy and Management major prepares you for a career in working to protect and sustain the natural resources of land, water and air. The curriculum provides students with the opportunity to develop a specific area of environmental expertise across the environmental sciences and policy spectrum by allowing students to select a specialized track within the major. Each track has a strong focus on integrating coursework in the areas of environmental policy, management, communication, and law with the applied aspects of social, physical, and biological sciences. Read more about the major. Visit the ESPM website.
Common Entry Level Job Titles
- Research Assistant
- Park Naturalist or Technician
- Environmental Outreach Professional
- Water Resource Technician
- Health, Safety, and Environmental Technician
- Wetland Soils Specialist
- Pollution Control Specialist
- Environmental Protection Technician
- Assistant Restorationist
- Environmental Educator
Possible Jobs with Experience or an Advanced Degree
- Environmental Scientist
- Environmental Lawyer
- Policy Analyst
- Environmental Planner
- Environmental Program Coordinator
- Sustainability Director
- Soil Scientist
- Environmental Health and Safety Director
- Public Education/Volunteer Program Coordinator
Types of Employers
- Energy/utility companies
- Environmental advocacy groups
- Environmental consulting firms
- For-profit organizations
- Colleges and universities
- Government agencies
- Nonprofit organizations
- Soil/water conservation districts
- Waste management/recycling companies
- Water treatment plants
Alumni Internship and Volunteer Contacts
In addition to finding current job and internship openings, use GoldPASS to search info and contacts for students' previously completed internships related to this major (to get ideas and contact information- not to get a list of openings). Select "Job Search"> "Internship Agreement Database."
Salary and Employment Statistics
Top Career Resources
- Master List of Environmental Sciences, Policy, and Management Career Resources
- State of Minnesota
The official site for the State of Minnesota government careers (including Dept. of Natural Resources, Dept. of Agriculture, Explore Minnesota Tourism, Pollution Control Agency).
- Environmental Career Opportunities
Lists environmental job vacancies from all sectors of the job-market specializing in Environmental and Natural Resources jobs and internships nationwide. User ID: spccc/Password: umn
The official job site of the United States government, including internships through the Pathways Program.
- A-Z Index
Index of U.S. Government Departments and Agencies.
- Student Conservation Association
Internships and jobs, many with federal agencies, available in conservation-related areas in all 50 states.