Letters of Recommendation
Recommendation letters are weighted heavily for most grad programs. Colleges typically request 3 references and want at least some of them to come from faculty. Work supervisors from jobs in a related field are also a good option.
- Ask each recommender if he or she would feel comfortable making astrong recommendation
- Make it easy for the letter writer – give them your resume, personal statement, and some work samples. Also provide a stamped, pre-addressed envelope
- Allow 4-6 weeks for a professor to complete a letter. Give him/her a deadline for finishing, and consider making this date earlier than the final due date
- Confirm the grad programs received the letters
- Send thank you letters to your recommenders
- Have a back-up recommender in case of emergency