Personal statements are weighted heavily by many programs, so don’t wait until the last minute to start!
- Listing all activities from a resume or application in narrative form
- Using cliche language: "I have wanted to be a veterinarian for as long as I can remember..."
- Poor grammar and typos
Tips for Writing a Strong Personal Statement
- Include 2 or 3 specific stories that illustrate your skills and experiences
- Touch on your intellectual learning from these experiences and highlight what else you want to learn during grad school
- Be creative in the way that you share information
- Touch on your specific professional goals
- Use strong grammar and writing skills throughout
- Answer application questions in a clear and organized manner
- Gradutate School Planning
- Gradutate School Planning for Architecture and Landscape Architecture
- "Graduate Admissions Essays" by Donald Asher (Available in 198 McNeal Hall and 411 Bruininks Hall)