About the Major
An Animal Science major prepares you for business related or hands on careers in the animal industry. The curriculum teaches students about animal breeding, growth, nutrition, physiology, health, behavior, management, welfare, production and food products. Students can also develop skills in clinical and laboratory procedures, critical and ethical thinking, as well as verbal and written communication. Read more about the major. Visit the Animal Science Website.
Common Entry Level Job Titles
- Animal Research Technician
- Artificial Insemination Technician
- Herd Manager
- Lab Analyst
- Pet Store Manager
- Production Specialist
- Sales Representative
- Quality Assurance Specialist
- Veterinary Technician
Types of Employers
- Animal production facilities
- Animal nutrition companies
- Dairy farms
- Government agencies
- Horse breeding/racing industry
- University laboratories
- Veterinary clinics
Past Experience and Internship Database
Search for students' previously completed experiences related to this major (to get ideas- not to get a list of openings) at: z.umn.edu/experiencedatabase. Database is updated through Fall 2020 semester only and will be updated semesterly.
Your Career Action Plan
Salary and Employment Statistics
Top Career Resources
- American Society of Animal Science
Search job postings in animal science careers; also includes job postings for numerous other career fields.
National and international job site and detailed career profiles to learn more about career pathways in agriculture (under job seeker resources)
- Minnesota Department of Agriculture Livestock Resources
View the list of related Minnesota professional associations on the right side of the page to connect with tailored resources, job postings, and networking opportunities.
- Equimax—Horse Industry Employment Service
Fee based national job listings for the Equine industry. Free articles with career advice are also available. (The St. Paul Campus Career Center does not endorse any fee based services.)
- AgriGrowth Job Exchange Portal
Utilize this free job matching site to connect with internships and jobs based on your indvidual skills, interests, and requirements.
- American Zoo and Aquarium Association
Job postings, articles, conferences and resources.
- American Veterinary Medical Association
Job postings, articles, conferences and resources related to the field of veterinary medicine.
- Pre-Health Events Calendar
Curated collection of pre-health events happening on-campus and in the community
In addition to these resources we recommend the following strategies to locate more information about careers related to your major:
- O*NET and Careerwise. These tools provide comprehensive information about a wide range of careers including typical duties, salaries, employment outlook, skills and interests.
- Locate professional associations related to your major or career interests by conducting a Google Search on “(Name of major/career area/industry) professional associations.” Try these keywords: animal, science, bovine, poultry, veterinarian, herd, research, production, food, equine, comfort, companion, zoo keeping, wildlife, management, agribusiness, pets, livestock
- Get involved in one of the many industry-related student groups on campus. These groups provide links to experiences, guest speakers, and discussion with like-minded students.
- Study Abroad Information for Animal Science