Sustainable Systems Management
About the Major
A Sustainable Systems Management major (previously "Bioproducts Marketing and Management"), prepares you for a career in marketing or manufacturing products made from plant material. Students in the major also learn about materials and construction methods used to design housing that is energy efficient, healthy, and affordable. Read more about the major. Visit the SSM Website.
Common Entry Level Job Titles
- Forest Product Sales Representative
- Residential Construction Supervisor
- Forest Product Engineer
- Marketing Specialist
- Operations Analyst
- Recycling Industry Manager
- Waste Management Specialist
- Paper Chemist
Types of Employers
- Architectural firms
- Biotechnology laboratories
- Chemical engineering firms
- Environmental products companies
- Food manufacturers
- Government agencies
- Paper and related products companies
- Recycling and waste management companies
- Universities and colleges
- Wood products manufacturers
Salary and Employment Statistics
Top Career Resources
Corporate Sustainability & Sustainable Products Business Management
US job postings and directories for relevant contacts. Includes links and information on Forestry and Forest Products in America.
- Pulp & Paper
Industry portal provides listings for jobs at mills or dealing with equipment manufacturing.
- Institute of Packaging Professionals
The Institute of Packaging Professionals is the authoritative organization serving the educational needs of the packaging community, where individuals can enhance their career experience through mutual interaction.
- Paper Industry Management Association (PIMA)
Training, education, networking and information for those in the paper industry.
Building Science and Technology & Energy Systems
- Energy and Environmental Building Association
This web site includes resources, conference information, and job information.
- National Association of Home Builders
Publications, news, educational information and meetings for those in the home building field.
- US Department of Energy: Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
Related links and information on energy efficiency including biomass, building technologies, and other related topics.
- The Green Building Initiative
Mission to accelerate the adoption of building practices that result in energy-efficient, healthier and environmentally sustainable buildings by promoting credible and practical green building approaches for residential and commercial construction.
In addition to these resources we recommend the following strategies to locate more information about careers related to your major:
- O*NET and Careerwise. These tools provide comprehensive information about a wide range of careers including typical duties, salaries, employment outlook, skills and interests.
- Locate professional associations related to your major or career interests by conducting a Google Search on “(Name of major/career area/industry) professional associations.” Try these keywords: sustainable, systems, management, analyst, production, construction, management, waste, recycling, biotechnology, energy, green, industrial, marketing, technology
- Get involved in one of the many industry-related student groups on campus. These groups provide links to experiences, guest speakers, and discussion with like-minded students.