About the Major
Plant Science students learn about conventional large-scale farming, organic agriculture, new sustainable production practices, medicinal plants, greenhouse management, and turf and lawn management. You'll do all this in the classroom, online, in greenhouses, in the field, and possibly through study abroad. Read more about the major.
Common Entry Level Job Titles
- Greenhouse Manager
- Golf Course Superintendent
- Plant Biologist
- Plant Researcher
- Sales Representative
Types of Employers
- Agricultural businesses
- Colleges and universities
- Environmental agencies
- Golf Courses
- Government agencies
- Seed companies
Past Experience and Internship Database
Search for students' previously completed experiences related to this major (to get ideas- not to get a list of openings) at: z.umn.edu/experiencedatabase. Database is updated through Fall 2020 semester only and will be updated semesterly.
Salary and Employment Statistics
Top Career Resources
In addition to these resources we recommend the following strategies to locate more information about careers related to your major:
- O*NET and Careerwise. These tools provide comprehensive information about a wide range of careers including typical duties, salaries, employment outlook, skills and interests.
- Locate professional associations related to your major or career interests by conducting a Google Search on “(Name of major/career area/industry) professional associations.” Try these keywords: plant, science, horticulture, greenhouse, management, plant, golf course, agronomist, biotechnologist, environment, arbor, production, floriculture, sustainability, biotechnology
- Get involved in one of the many industry-related student groups on campus. These groups provide links to experiences, guest speakers, and discussion with like-minded students.
- Study Abroad Information for Plant Science