About the Major
The Graphic Design major prepares students for creating print and electronic designs in a wide variety of organizations. The curriculum educates students in design methods, design theory, and creative problem solving, as well as visual and verbal literacy. An emphasis is placed on visual components: how humans communicate, perceive, interpret, and understand visual information. Read more about the major.
Common Entry Level Job Titles
- Graphic Designer
- Information/Data Visualization Designer
- Interactive Designer
- Marketing Coordinator
- User Experience Designer
- Web Designer
Types of Employers
- Advertising agencies
- Design firms
- Educational institutions
- For-profit organizations
- Government agencies
- Nonprofit organizations
Alumni Internship and Volunteer Contacts
Search for students' previously completed experiences related to this major (to get ideas- not to get a list of openings) at: z.umn.edu/experiencedatabase. Database is updated through Summer 2019 semester only and will be updated yearly.
Salary and Employment Statistics
Top Career Resources
- Summer 2020 Graphic Design Resources
- American Institute of Graphic Arts - Minnesota
Professional association including conference information and job postings
- AIGA University of Minnesota Student Group
- Design U
- Minnesota Interactive Marketing Association
Job postings and events for web-based marketing and design fields
In addition to these resources we recommend the following strategies to locate more information about careers related to your major:
- O*NET and Careerwise. These tools provide comprehensive information about a wide range of careers including typical duties, salaries, employment outlook, skills and interests.
- Locate professional associations related to your major or career interests by conducting a Google Search on “(Name of major/career area/industry) professional associations.” Try these keywords: graphic, design, marketing
- Get involved in one of the many industry-related student groups on campus. These groups provide links to experiences, guest speakers, and discussion with like-minded students.
- Study Abroad Information for Graphic Design