About the Major
The Food Systems major will teach students the knowledge and problem-solving skills to address complex challenges and opportunities in food systems. This will be guided by an interest in food and food systems that are sustainable in environmental, economic, and social terms. Students will study food systems in diverse contexts and at different scales. Read more about the major.
Common Entry Level Job Titles
- Community Garden Manager
- Extension Educator
- Food Shelf Manager
- Organic Farm Manager/Owner
- Organic Food Product Marketing
- Policy Analyst
- Sales Representative, Organic Products
- Sustainability Officer
Types of Employers
- Community gardens
- Food companies
- Government agencies
- Nonprofit organizations
- Organic farms
Alumni Internship and Volunteer Contacts
Search for students' previously completed experiences related to this major (to get ideas- not to get a list of openings) at: z.umn.edu/experiencedatabase. Database is updated through Summer 2018 semester only.
Salary and Employment Statistics
Top Career Resources
- ATTRA Sustainable Agriculture Program
Resources as well as sustainable farming internships.
- Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education
Grants and education about sustainable agriculture.
- Food Tank
Food think tank Events, webinars, articles, and forums.
- COMFOOD is an email discussion list of the Community Food Security Coalition, through Tufts University
- COMFOODJOBS is an email list of community food-related jobs, internships, volunteer opportunities. Sign up for this very active resource!
- Agriculture Network Information Collaborative
A knowledge discovery system for agriculture
- USDA opportunities and information
- Minnesota Institute for Sustainable Agriculture (MISA), including on-campus internships
- In addition to the previous, search for food systems career info and opportunitites using key words such as food hubs, food policy, public health, immigration/food, supply chain and logistics, consumer insight, food retail, food waste/compost, food safety, food security, urban agriculture. Also, see career resources for: