About the Major
An Applied Economics major prepares you for a wide variety of careers in public policy and business analysis including finance, trade, environmental management and more. The curriculum provides a strong background in economic theory and empirical methods. Students select an emphasis area related to their career goals. Read more about the major.
Visit the Applied Economics Website.
Common Entry Level Job Titles
- Assistant Policy Analyst
- Business Analyst
- Commodity Merchandiser
- Financial Advisor
- Human Resources Specialist
- Insurance Underwriter
- Marketing Specialist
- Revenue Tax Specialist
- Sales Representative
- Supply Chain Manager
Types of Employers
- Agricultural business organizations
- Banks and financial institutions
- Government agencies
- Nonprofit agencies
- Research centers and universities
- Retail food companies
Past Experience and Internship Database
Search for students' previously completed experiences related to this major (to get ideas- not to get a list of openings) at: z.umn.edu/experiencedatabase. Database is updated through Fall 2020 semester only and will be updated semesterly.
Salary and Employment Statistics
Top Career Resources
- Applied Economics Job Postings in Handshake
See current job postings in MN related to the major. Must have and be signed in to Handshake account
- AgriCareers Inc.
Includes national job postings for the agribusiness field
- National Association for Business Economics
Job postings, articles, events, and resources related to business economics
- United States Department of Agriculture
Jobs within USDA, links to agriculture agencies and news stories
- Ag Careers Newsletter
National and international job site with over 1,600 postings per month
- Association of Environmental and Resource Economists
Articles, conferences, and resources related to environmental economics
In addition to these resources we recommend the following strategies to locate more information about careers related to your major:
- O*NET and Careerwise. These tools provide comprehensive information about a wide range of careers including typical duties, salaries, employment outlook, skills and interests.
- Locate professional associations related to your major or career interests by conducting a Google Search on “(Name of major/career area/industry) professional associations.” Try these keywords: economics, applied, business, analyst, financial, adviser, policy, supply chain
- Get involved in one of the many industry-related student groups on campus. These groups provide links to experiences, guest speakers, and discussion with like-minded students.
- Study Abroad Information for Applied Economics