About the Major
An Apparel Design major prepares you for a career designing, producing and marketing apparel products. The curriculum focuses on creativity and the product development process including manual and computerized pattern making and apparel structuring. Read more about the major.
Common Entry Level Job Titles
- Assistant Designer
- Costume Designer
- Production Coordinator
- Quality Control Specialist
- Technical Designer
Types of Employers
- Apparel & textile manufacturers
- Retailers with in-house clothing lines
- Toy companies
Alumni Internship and Volunteer Contacts
Search for students' previously completed experiences related to this major (to get ideas- not to get a list of openings) at: z.umn.edu/experiencedatabase. Database is updated through Summer 2019 semester only and will be updated yearly.
Salary and Employment Statistics
Top Career Resources
In addition to these resources we recommend the following strategies to locate more information about careers related to your major:
- O*NET and Careerwise. These tools provide comprehensive information about a wide range of careers including typical duties, salaries, employment outlook, skills and interests.
- Locate professional associations related to your major or career interests by conducting a Google Search on “(Name of major/career area/industry) professional associations.” Try these keywords: apparel, design, textile, patternmaker, sewing, sustainable
- Get involved in one of the many industry-related student groups on campus. These groups provide links to experiences, guest speakers, and discussion with like-minded students.
- Study Abroad Information for Apparel Design