Great Lakes Career Ready Internship Grant
Career and Internship Services is excited to offer University of Minnesota students in the College of Continuing Education, College of Design, and College of Food, Agriculture, and Natural Resource Sciences an opportunity to receive grant funds for unpaid internships through spring semester 2018.
Looking to explore career opportunities and develop professional skills? Find an unpaid internship and apply for a Great Lakes Grant! Grant recipients will be paid at the rate of $10/hour, up to a maximum of $2,250, or 225 hours of work at their internship site.
Student Eligibility Requirements
- Students must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree-seeking program in CCE, CDES, or CFANS.
- Students must have earned at least 60 credits by the time the grant payments begin.
- International students are not eligible for this grant program.
- Students must show financial need as determined by the Student Finance-Academic Support Resources Office based on the FAFSA.
Internship Eligibility Requirements
Grant funding is available for unpaid internships that are:
- At least 120 hours in length.
- Located in the United States.
Check out recent unpaid internship opportunities here: z.umn.edu/unpaidinternships.
Grant funding is not available for:
- Internships at the University of Minnesota.
- Teaching internships, or internship involving work on political campaigns or religious ministry
- Repeat internship experiences that you have worked at previously.
- Retroactive payment for internships completed in the past.
- The purpose of this funding is to reward development of NEW internship sites. Therefore, students who are conducting internships at new internship sites, or those developed within the last 2 years, will be given priority for funding.
- Grants are offered on a rolling, first-come, first-served, basis. Students are encouraged to apply as soon as an internship opportunity is identified.
How to Apply
To determine if you meet financial eligibility requirements for the Great Lakes Internship Grant, complete your 2016-2017 FAFSA and submit a request for financial eligibility review at http://z.umn.edu/eligibility.
If eligible, submit your grant application at http://z.umn.edu/requestglfunding.
About the Grant & Great Lakes
CIS at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities is one of 33 institutions across Iowa, Minnesota, Ohio and Wisconsin to receive a 3-year grant from the Great Lakes Higher Education Corporation & Affiliates, which will run from Spring 2016 through Spring 2018.
Knowing that education has the power to change lives for the better, Great Lakes Higher Education Corporation & Affiliates was established as a nonprofit group focused on a single objective: helping students nationwide prepare for and succeed in postsecondary education and student loan repayment. As a leading student loan guarantor and servicer, Great Lakes has been selected by the U.S. Department of Education to provide assistance and repayment planning to more than 8 million borrowers—as well as assistance to colleges and lenders nationwide. Great Lakes’ earnings support one of the largest and most respected education philanthropy programs in the country. Since 2006, Great Lakes has committed nearly $154 million in grant funding to promote higher education access and completion for students of color, low-income students, and first-generation students. For additional information, visit home.mygreatlakes.org.
For more information, contact CIS at 612-624-2710 or firstname.lastname@example.org.