Connect with Students
Volunteer Your Time
Volunteering on campus is a great way to meet our students. To be added to our contact list for the below list of volunteer opportunities, email firstname.lastname@example.org indicating your interests.
Industry Professionals Needed Included:
Agriculture, Animal Science, Architecture, Business, Design (Apparel, Graphic, Interior), Environmental Science, Fisheries/Wildlife/Conservation, Biology, Food Science/Nutrition, Forest Resources, Horticulture/Plant Science, Housing/Real Estate Development, and Landscape Architecture
- Informational Interviews - Answer student questions about your career area, either on the phone, via e-mail, online, or in person.
- Presentations or Panel Discussions - Share with students your perspectives on your profession and advice for successful career planning.
- Industry Tours - Host a student group within your work place to provide a realistic picture of what daily work in your environment entails.
- Mock Interviews/Portfolio Review - Conduct practice interviews or portfolio reviews on campus for small groups of students.
- Mentor Programs - Mentor a student interested in your profession for one academic year.
- Alumni Society Board of Directors - Serve on a collegiate alumni society board of directors. Elections are held annually.
- Intern Coach - Coach a small group student interns working in your career field for one academic semester.
We use LinkedIn to facilitate connections between our students, alumni, and professionals. To make yourself available to students on LinkedIn:
Join one or more of the following college/alumni groups (students will not be able to send you a message unless you are members of the same group):
College of Continuing & Professional Studies
College of Design
College of Food, Agricultural & Natural Resource Sciences
University of Minnesota Alumni Association
To sign up to become a mentor for your industry area visit the Alumni Association Mentor Page.
Visit Student Organizations
We have many student organizations led by talented undergraduates that are eager to have guest speakers at meetings and events. To get connected with a student group related to your hiring goals, contact Sharon Heron, our Employer Relations Coordinator at 612-624-9421 or email@example.com.
Hiring International Students
The University of Minnesota has over 6000 international students. This short video developed by the University of Minnesota's Career Services Administration gives information on the benefits and ease of hiring international students. Our Hiring International Students Guide and Common Visa Types Guide provides additional information for hiring international students. For additional information on regulations regarding hiring international students, please visit U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
Hiring Students with Disabilities
Our Hiring Students with Disabilities guide provides specific strategies to help you advertise opportunities to students with disabilities.