Making the Most of Your Internship: CFAN 3096
If you have questions about experiential learning or CFAN 3096 please email our Internship Coordinator, Mari Ruddy. In Fall 2018, Mari will host "Internship Info Office Hours" in the CFANS Advising Center in 130 Coffey Hall every Wednesday from 9am - 11am.
About the Course
CFAN 3096 is ideal for CFANS and CCAPS students who have secured an internship and would like to receive academic credit for the experience, reflect on internship learning and progress, and receive ongoing instructor support. This course meets CFANS experiential learning requirement for some majors. This 1 credit course is offered in the fall, spring, and summer. If you are completing a summer internship, you may take a concurrent (during summer) or deferred (during fall) section of the course. Please see the registration instructions for details.
Key Internship Requirements
Your experience will qualify for enrollment in CFAN 3096 if:
- You will spend more than 120 hours in the experience
- At least 90 of these hours should take place during the semester you enroll in a Concurrent Enrollment course
- At least 90 of these hours should take place over the summer if you enroll in a Deferred Enrollment course
- Your hours should be spread fairly evenly throughout the semester
- You are completing a project, undertaking activities, or developing skills that are related to your major field or intended profession
- You have begun your experience no more than 6 months prior to the first day of the course
- You will be supervised by someone within your intended field or profession, who is not a member of your immediate family
- You will be able to attend the required in-person class meetings for the course
Course Content and Structure
This course is designed to enhance your internship or related field experience through self-reflection assignments/activities, and in-person and online forum discussions. At the end of the course, students will be able to redefine and articulate their career goals and market their accomplishments to future employers. Students will participate in scheduled, mandatory in-class sessions listed in the class schedule and submit assignments through Moodle.
Internship Digital Stories
Check out these student-created videos featuring internship experiences from past 3096 students.
Quotes from Past Students
- "I am very appreciative that CFANS requires a class like this. I don’t think I would have looked as hard in getting an internship if it wasn’t for this class and I am thankful that I was able to experience what I did."
- "Reflecting on the work I did was helpful for me to see where I can improve my performance in the future."
- "Having my supervisor fill out a final evaluation for the course helped me see how I improved and what I can still work on because otherwise I wouldn't know these things."
- "Valuable coursework that is well guided and helps you to reflect on your internship experience in ways you might not think of or otherwise explore."
- "Good to help navigate the professional workplace."